Sparze
Navid
Vivera Vi
Sign in to follow this  
Sparze

Jagex closing OSB-Runelite -Kuond

Sparze

268z1zt.png

"I have just finished having a discussion with Mod Mat K, who is threatening legal action against RuneLite for copyright infringement if it is not shut down by the end of the week.

I inquired specifically what parts of RuneLite violate Jagex's copyright so that I could take it down, and even offered to close source the project, but MMK insisted that the entire project must be shut down, and gave no specifics about the copyright infringement claims, and only said legal action would be taken.

I was also informed that they were "working on" shutting down both OSB and Konduit, and that I was the "first" to be contacted.

RuneLite is certainly in a grey area to my knowledge of copyright law. I have no issue working with Jagex to remove parts of it from the public eye if requested. I would also have no issue shutting down the entire client if all 3rd party clients were banned. However, I do have an issue with shutting down the entire client while OSBuddy is allowed to operate.

While I agree that RuneLite does threaten the integrity of the game, what threatens it even more is that I have to buy OSBuddy in order to gain the same competitive advantages of other players in game. RuneLite exists to try and level the playing field as to who can develop on the client, of which I think it has done well.

Jagex, please work with me here instead of singling us out. We love the game, and have great respect for you, but this is not an acceptable way of dealing with the third party clients.

If anyone within the community happens to be a (copyright) lawyer, please contact me.

-Adam"

BV1

I expect to see Jagex go after RuneLite then drag their feet when it comes to OSB. Idk about Konduit.

Kaochinx27

I hope one client gets to remain up.  I dont like playing rs with the browser or official client with 0 features.

dass

lame

King Gucci

Time to bring back vr’s client I see u Seth.

BV1
32 minutes ago, Kaochinx27 said:

I hope one client gets to remain up.  I dont like playing rs with the browser or official client with 0 features.

Even if they shut down RuneLite, the source is still available online. I'm sure many people will host downloads for a compiled version, myself included, so people can continue using it. The only issue will be when RuneLite requires an update for something Jagex changes.

I suggest Adam moves the project offshore. "Steps down" as lead developer, lets an "unknown" Asian entity take over, host the source and downloads in Asia, and continues on as if nothing changed. Jagex can only reach so far.

Wirdy

gg

seth
1 hour ago, Kaochinx27 said:

the only client I need

mCwzEN6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Potrahs

Interesting. Always felt like these clients was too much and unfair to Ppl who didn't use them. 

Kaochinx27
1 hour ago, seth said:

the only client I need

mCwzEN6.jpg

Damn miniclips still around too, just checked.

gonna play some 8 ball

Donna

Ugh

David

wow that sucks hope jagex can impliment the shit the clients have into their boring ass one

Rj Deathlord

Back to swiftkit boys 

Juri

This ain't gonna end well for Jagex. 

Ryan
6 hours ago, Potrahs said:

Interesting. Always felt like these clients was too much and unfair to Ppl who didn't use them. 

That's the point. OSB Pro has been charging users for these features for years and now that they're finally available to everyone free of charge Jagex is intervening. Definitely something going on between OSB and Mat K.

Zak_45
2 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's the point. OSB Pro has been charging users for these features for years and now that they're finally available to everyone free of charge Jagex is intervening. Definitely something going on between OSB and Mat K.

This is some fucked up shady shit cancelled osb str8 up

D156

I expect nothing less from a shitty company, this is nothing new. 

He should get a solid attorney and make some money off these shit Brits.

Also why would a mod reach out to him vs a legal team. Pretty sure that's outside of his pay grade. 

Nodari

They probably want to have their own client running. 

Lordkilla44
10 hours ago, Kaochinx27 said:

Damn miniclips still around too, just checked.

gonna play some 8 ball

Ever play the monkey snowball game on there? Was lit

Empire Mind

Dumb

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this